- 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, mashed or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon harissa (Northwest African chili paste), 1 tablespoon minced green chilies, or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days to allow the flavors to meld and permeate the carrots. Served chilled or at room temperature.
Moroccan Cooked Carrot Salad (Shlata Chizo Metbucha): Do not grate the carrots, but cut them on a diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cook in gently boiling water until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Toss with the dressing as above.
Moroccan Carrot-Orange Salad (Shlata Chizo): Omit the cumin and add 1 1/2 teaspoons orange blossom water or 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, 1/4 cup chopped fresh spearmint, and, if desired, 1 tablespoon sugar or honey.
Turkish Carrot Salad with Yogurt (Havuc Salatasi): Substitute 1 cup plain yogurt for the lemon juice.